Work and Study in Canada

Study in Canada

For programs longer than six months, international students must obtain a Student Visa prior to entering Canada.

International Students studying in Canada for six months or less do not require a Student Visa. Working during the school year and during school breaks can help with gaining valuable Canadian work experience and help cover the costs of your education.

The application can take some time to process, so we recommend applying well in advance.

Work While You Study

Get a Study Permit! For Student Visa information, contact your local Canadian Consulate or visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada : Study in Canada website, where you will find applications for study permits, processing times, and what to expect after you arrive in Canada.

As of June 1st, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to work up to 20 hours per week :

During regular academic sessions and

Full-time during scheduled breaks, such as : the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

Harbourside Institute of Technology is a Designated Learning Institution.

To apply for a study permit on or after June 1st, 2014, you will need a letter of Acceptance from Harbourside IT, and make sure to include our Designated Learning Institution number  on your application form. Use our designated # below.

DLI#: O19330716802 (The DLI number begins with the letter “O”)

If you are still unsure, please use The Self Assessment Tool to see if you are eligible to work off campus without a work permit.

You do not need a work permit to work off campus, but you will need a Social Insurance Number. It is your responsibility to look for work. Even if you work off campus, your studies must be the main reason you are in Canada.

 Crossing The Border

When you are ready to travel, a number of conditions will apply – Before coming to Canada, please refer to The Canada Border Services Agency Website.